Black Smith Building
Original Site
Built on site
Age
Early 1970s
Use
Used occasionally on weekends and on special occasions
Arrival
Not Applicable
Materials
Corrugated Galvanised iron construction, walls and roof.
Dirt Floor
Points of Interest
This Blacksmiths workshop was constructed to resemble a typical Blacksmith's workshop at the turn of the century.
Mr Jim Haze, a former blacksmith, helped to equip the blacksmiths shop, donating some of his original tools and implements
Size
Height = 445, Length = 1200, Width = 800(cms)

Bootmaker's workshop
Original Site
The Main street in Neerim South
Age
1906
Use
This shop was initially used as a Bootmakers by Samuel Fry.
Once Sam moved his business to Warragul, the building was then used as a Dressmakers shop
Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
The contents of the bootmakers shop belong to Mr. Harry Coombs, who had a Bootmakers business in Moe from 1910 to 1966.
Size



Calagero Log Cabin
Original Site
Iguana Creek
Age
circa 1880
Use
Originally  a dwelling/kitchen
Arrival
Donated to Old Gippstown in 1977 by APM Forests Pty
Ltd, who assisted with the cost of having it relocated.
Materials
Contructed in the drop-log fashion of the times.  The roof is made of bark.
Points of Interest
built by John Caughey
Size


Church
Original Site
Moe
Age
December 1895
Use
Great for  weddings
Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
This was the Holy Trinity Church of England in Moe.  It was built and dedecated by Archdeacon Langley.

Items on display include an organ, altar, lecturn, and a list of former rectors.
Size


Coach Builders' Workshop
Coach Builders Workshop
Original Site

Age

Use
Used by the Latrobe Valley Woodturning and Woodworking Club.
Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
Exhibits include a treadle operated lathe.  On display are also items created by the LVWW club and are for sale. 
Size


Coach House
Coach House
Original Site
Tom Fowler farm at Willowgrove
Age
Built in the 1920s
Use
Originally served as a barn
Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
Items on display include: 1915 Jinker, 1914 Buggy Wagon, 1915 Pony Gig, 1850-1920 Phaeton, 1850-1900 Sulky, 1900 Governess Cart, 1830 Double Buggy, 1885-1890 Town Coach, part of one of the best collections in Victoria.
Size


Cobb and Co. Inn
Cobb & Co. Coach Inn
Original Site
Between Packenham and Nar Nar Goon on the north side of the road a short distance west of Abrehart Road
Age
Built in 1863 by David Connor
Use
It served as a refreshment stop and horse change on the coach road from Dandenong to Sale until it was delicenced in 1899.
Arrival
Re-erected over the period of 1970-1971
Materials
Drop slab and plaster
Points of Interest
The bar is available for use during functions.

One of the last licensees was William Rhonden who moved to a hotel in Warragul. The Inn returned to the Connor family when it ceased to be a hotel. It was used as a private dwelling, in turn by W.Ritchie, F.Gorwell and G. MacDonald, and was finally a playroom/storage area in 1969, when it became subject to a demolition order. By that time there was corrugated iron covering the shingles. The main (and probably earliest) section was re-erected at Old Gippstown.
Size


Doctors's Residence
Doctor's Residence
Original Site
Built at Yallourn, completed March 31, 1930
Age

Use

Arrival

Materials
Weatherboard
Points of Interest
Dr James Moore Andrew practised in the Yallourn area from 1925 until he died on November 2, 1972. Attic houses were always sited on corner allotments. The size of the average allotment in town was a 60 foot (20 metre) frontage with a depth of 120 to 130 feet (40 to 50 metres) allowing 4 to 5 houses to be built per acre.  This was typical of a Yallourn House of the 1950’s and 1960’s. This was an infectious diseases hospital and in the rear room there is some dentistry equipment of the 1960’s
Size
12 squares

Dress Maker's Shop
Dress Maker's Shop
Original Site
Traralgon
Age

Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
The dressmaker and seamstress shop contains a great deal of material salvaged from a building in Traralgon, which was occupied at one time by Mrs. Sarah Carter, which she established in 1895.   Exhibits on display include a history of Sarah Carter and items of fine clothing from the early 1900’s.
Size


Farm Contractors Shed
Farm Contractors' Shed
Original Site

Age

Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
Items on display include early harvesters.
Size


Farm House
Ashdale Farm house
Original Site
Dumbalk North
Age
Built c.1894
Use

Arrival

Materials
All timbers (Blue-Gum and Blackwood) were obtained from the property and milled as required. It originally had a shingled roof.
Points of Interest
“Ashdale" comes from B. Ashenden and Elizabeth Dale. Originally built by Benjamin Ashenden (1863-1938) and Elizabeth Ashenden (1871-1955) Exhibits on display include a fine dining table and chairs.
Size


Fire Station
Fire Station
Original Site

Age

Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
This fire station building houses all of the earliest types of equipment needed to fight a small town fire. These buildings often served a dual role as a public hall for important social functions.  Items on display include the 1938 Dodge Fire Engine which was last stationed at Moe.  It is still in working order and takes people for rides around the Park on pre-arranged tours.
Size


Funeral Parlour
Funeral Palour
Original Site
Traralgon
Age

Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
This building was obtained from Mr. A. Templeton of Traralgon. In most early towns, the local builder was also the coffin maker and undertaker. The adjoining workshop now houses a joiner’s tool display that Mr. Templeton used.
Size


General Store
General Store
Original Site
Narracan
Age
Built in 1889
Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
The items inside have been donated to Gippsland Heritage Park over the years since we have taken possession of this building.  It is an Aladdin’s Cave of memories for all ages.
Size


Post Office
Original Site

Age
Built c.1920-1922
Use

Arrival

Materials
A standard wood frame weatherboard building typical of the period.  It is believed the building was constructed by the owners.
Points of Interest
Items on display here include a comprehensive collection of telephones during the 20th Century.  In the rear room is some telephone exchange and switchboard equipment through to the late 20th Century.
Size


Livery Stables
Livery Stables
Original Site
Warragul
Age
Late 1800s
Use
Used as a stable for General Carriers of Warragul
Arrival
Donated by Mr. Charles H. Williams in 1974
Materials
Weatherboard construction
Concrete Floor
Storage Loft
Corrugated galvanised iron roof
Points of Interest

Size
Height = 707, Length = 1452, Width = 1410(cms)

Loren Iron House
Original Site
Melbourne
Age
1850s
Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
A two storey iron house, it is one of the last examples or pre-fabricated iron houses imported from Britain in the 1850s. Loren is on the Register of the National Estate and the Victorian Heritage Register. It is recognised by the National Trust as being of State Significance.
Size


Mc Millan Homestead
McMillan Homestead
Original Site
Bushy Park (between Boisdale and Briagolong)
Age
1840s
Use

Arrival
1969
Materials

Points of Interest
This homestead "Bushy Park" was built for Angus McMillan (who pioneered agricultural expansion into Gippsland)  in the 1840s after the original building was destroyed during a bushfire. The building is recorded by the National Trust as being of Local Significance
Size


Mechanics Institute
Mechanics Instutute, Narracan Hall
Original Site
East Narracan
Age

Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
This is formerly the East Narracan Hall where bands played and had dances and parties. A feature of the building is a large painting of an early settler’s homestead.  The hall is now used by local art groups and during events held at the Park.
Size


Miner's Hut
Miner's Hut
Original Site
6 miles from Moe along the Tanjil River
Age
1900s
Use
Used as a residence for two Gold-miners
Arrival
Sept-Oct 1972
Materials
Timber and bark construction
Dirt Floor
Open fireplace lined with stones and dirt mortar
Corrugated galvanised iron chimney
One Side Window
Points of Interest
This building was donated by Mr. A. Jay.
This hut was carefully removed from the once famous Tanjil goldfields and re-erected on site, as an example of bark huts found throughout Gippsland during the gold rush era.
Size
Height = 330, Length = 525, Width = 370(cms)

Motor Garage
Motor Garage
Original Site
Built on site
Age
1972
Use
Used to store some of the Parks vintage cars
Arrival
Not applicable
Materials
Corrugated galvanised iron construction and roof
Partial interior wooden panelling
Small interior office
Large wooden double-entry doors
Mostly Dirt floor with raised wooden showroom floor
Points of Interest
Several hand-operated petrol bowsers in front of garage
Size
Height = 307, Length = 1688, Width = 936(cms)



National Bank
National Bank of Australia
Original Site
Meeniyan (75 Km from Moe)
Age
Built in 1899
Use
Originally as a Bank
Arrival
1970
Materials
It is a Weatherboard construction, including mock stonework on the timber front, with a corrugated galvanised iron roof, including cast iron lace work along the ridge of the roof.
The Interior vertical lining boards on the lower walls were restored in the original stain and pressed zinc lines the ceiling and the upper walls.
Points of Interest
Traded up until its arrival at the Gippsland Heritage Park.
The Park committee originally paid $600 for the building, which the National Bank donated $600 back to the park.
The National Bank has contributed money and exhibits to set-up and upkeep of the bank.
There are eight different patterns of pressed tin used inside.
Size


Police Station
Police Station
Original Site
Maffra
Age
Possibly from the late 1880s and later extended
Use
Police station
Arrival
1972
Materials

Points of Interest
Probably the original 1869 station, extended in 1936.
Exhibits on display include uniforms and policing notices.
Size


School
Original Site
Sunny Creek Road between Trafalgar and Yarragon
Age
Built in 1889
Use
Sunny Creek School, State School No. 2903
Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
This school has been preserved as the type of weatherboard school which were once seen throughout Gippsland but are now all but gone.
Size


Slab Kitchen
Slab Kitchen
Original Site
Labertouche
Age
Built in the 1880s
Use

Arrival

Materials
Slab  construction
Points of Interest
This is where the farmhands and servants would have eaten their meals.
Originally the home of a single female selector. Here displayed as the building where the farmhands and servants would have eaten their meals. Donated by Mason-Brooke Pastoral Co.
Size


Solicitor's Office
Solicitor's Office
Original Site
Langford Street Moe
Age
1916
Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
Built for and first used by Hubert McCormack Kelly in Lloyd St, Moe. Following his retirement, it was purchased by Bill White, who later moved it around the corner to preserve it. After returning from WWII, Bill White had studied to be a lawyer. Times were tough and at the point of forgetting about being a solicitor and going back to his pre-war days as a bricklayer, he defended a client against another solicitor named Galbally. The headlines read “local solicitor defeats Galbally”. He never did get back to bricklaying. It also houses a selection of Adding machines, Typewriters and Dictaphones.
Size


Tynong Theatre
Tynong Theatre
Original Site
Tynong
Age
Built circa 1886 as a Mechanics' Institute
Use

Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
Tynong Hall now houses a cinema and runs films for pre-arranged tours. In the adjoining room is a large collection of photographic memorabilia from the 20th Century.
Size


Shearing Shed
Shearing Shed
Original Site
Dumbalk North, part of the Ashdale Homestead
Age

Use
Originally used as a sheep shearing shed, but after it was decommissioned they used it as a hall for bands and bush dances.
Arrival

Materials

Points of Interest
Contains displays of farm tools, wool presses and early mechanical shearing equipment.  Men following the shearing seasons would have stopped here on their way around Victoria.
Size



Go to Old Gippstown Home Page